District 65 – New Virginia School

District 65 was called “New Virginia” which in turn gave that name to the Methodist Episcopal church nearby. Henry W. Lambrecht remembered the sod school house as having a flat roof. A sod schoolhouse was in use before the school district built a frame house in 1884. The carpenters were Robert McCallum and J.P. Braynard. Sabbath school was held in the school house before the New Virginia church was built in 1907. In July 1882 the Webster County Argus reported that there was a [farmer’s] alliance held in District 65, called New Virginia. In 1927 a modern two-room school house was built, the old frame having served its time.

Source:
Webster County: Visions of the Past
By Mabel Cooper Skjelver
Published 1980
Pages 78-79


District 65, New Virginia, a one-room school house built in 1884

District 65, New Virginia, a one-room school house built in 1884

District 65, New Virginia school house built in 1927

District 65, New Virginia school house built in 1927

Photographs courtesy of Henry Peterson and Margaret Lambrecht Votipka (Mrs. Ed.)

Source:
Webster County: Visions of the Past
By Mabel Cooper Skjelver
Published 1980
Page 79


This is the location of the New Virginia school house. It is situated in the middle of the section one-half mile East of the New Virginia Church. The original school building burned down in early 2003, but the foundation can still be seen in the satellite imagery.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Speak Your Mind